- 1 pound [454 g] sweet Italian sausage links, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 [10-ounce / 284-mL each] packs frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 [16-ounce / 454-g] pack Mozzarella cheese, shredded [4 cups / 1 L]
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1 [10 to 11-ounce / 284 to 312-g] package piecrust mix
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] water
- In a 10-inch [25-cm] skillet, over medium heat, cook sausage meat, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon off fat from skillet.
- Reserve 1 egg yolk.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining eggs and egg white with sausage, spinach, Mozzarella and Ricotta cheeses and salt.
- Prepare pie crust mix as label directs for 2 crust pie.
- Divide dough into 2 parts, 1 slightly larger; shape each part into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll large ball into a circle, 2 inches [5 cm] larger all around than 9-inch [23 cm] pie plate; use to line pie plate.
- Spoon sausage mixture into pie plate.
- Roll remaining pastry ball into a 10-inch [25 cm] circle.
- Cut out a small circle in the center of pastry.
- Place pastry over filling.
- Trim pastry edge, leaving 1/2 inch [1.3 cm] overhang; fold overhang under and press gently all around rim to make standup edge.
- Cut slits in pastry top.
- In a small bowl, mix reserved egg yolk with water.
- Brush top of pie with some egg yolk mixture.
- Reroll scraps; cut to make decorative shapes and place on pie; brush desigh with egg yolk mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F [190°C] oven for 1 1/4 hours, until crust is golden.
- To serve hot, let pie stand for 10 minutes; then cut into wedges.
- To serve cold, refrigerate pie, uncovered, until well chilled; then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.