- 4 slices bacon, cut into tiny pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 [9-inch / 23-cm] short-crust pastry shell [baked for 10 minutes]
- 1 cup [250 mL] cream [35% or 15% m.s.g.]
- 5 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Nutmeg, to taste
- 2 cups [500 mL] diced ham
- Freshly chopped parsley, to taste
- 1 cup [225 g] grated Gruyere or Emmenthal cheese
- Fry bacon pieces until just crunchy.
- Fry chopped onions into melted bacon fat.
- Sprinkle cooled chopped onions over the bottom of pre-baked pastry shell.
- Lightly beat together cream and eggs.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture over chopped onions, into pastry shell.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon pieces and ham dices.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, then with grated cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes, into a preheated 425°F [220°C] oven.
- Lower oven temperature to 350°F [180°C]; bake for 30 minutes more.