- 3/4 cup [105 g] flour
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons [90 g] butter
- 1 or 2 tablespoons [15 or 30 mL] lemon juice
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch [2-cm] thick slices
- 1/4 pound [113 g] pumpkin or sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch [2-cm] cubes
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into medium-size cubes
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 1 cup [250 mL] milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup [225 g] grated Old Cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- Into a bowl, mix together flour, whole wheat flour and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into flours mixture until really fine.
- Slowly stir in enough lemon juice to shape mixture into a ball.
- Knead onto a floured surface, until smooth.
- Roll dough; line an 8-inch [20-cm] quiche plate.
- Cut excess dough.
- Cover dough with al foil; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
- Fill lined pastry shell with dry peas.
- Bake into preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove peas and al foil.
- Bake until lightly browned.
- Prepare filling; pour into pie shell.
- Bake into preheated oven for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- Steam or microwave together broccoli pieces, zucchini slices and pumpkin or sweet potato cubes, until tender.
- Into a frypan, melt red pepper cubes and minced onion into hot oil.
- Melt butter into a saucepan.
- Stir in flour; cook over low heat, stirring.
- Slowly pour in milk, stirring.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring at all times, until boiling and thickened.
- Boil for 1 minute; take away from heat.
- Blend in egg yolks and then grated cheese, beating until smooth.
- Salt and pepper.
- Into a bowl, mix together cooked vegetables and sauce.