- 2 pounds [900 g] ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- Seeded Jalapeņo pepper slices, to taste [optional]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices Montery Jack cheese
- Prepare a charcoal fire on the spot provided on your site; preheat until hot.
- Shape ground beef into 8 thin patties
- Evenly top 4 of the patties with onion dices and, if desired, Jalapeņo pepper slices.
- Top with remaining patties.
- Press all around sealing in filling.
- Transfer each onto two pieces heavy al foil large enough to wrap each individually.
- Salt and pepper patties.
- Tightly seal patties in al foil; transfer onto hot rack over hot embers.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Turn each over and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Open-up each bundle and to each patty with a slice of Montery Jack cheese.
- Cook for alittle longer, until cheese starts to melt.