- 1/4 pound [113 g] butter
- Onion dices, to taste
- 2 to 4 trouts, cleaned
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Flour, to coat
- Build cooking fire approximately 1 hour before cooking, using at least 6 medium logs, maple wood if possible, to get enough embers.
- Cut 3 [18-inch / 45-cm long each] sheets al foil.
- Arrange al sheets one on top of the other to get a 3-thickness bundle.
- Cut butter into tiny squares; arrange onto al foil.
- Sprinkle onion dices onto al foil.
- Lightly flour, salt and pepper then lay trouts on top of onion dices.
- Tightly seal bundle.
- Transfer bundle directly into embers; cook for approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove bundle from embers and shake bundle.
- Transfer bundle back into embers; cook for approximately 7 minutes more.
- Remove bundle from embers, delicately open-up bundle to check to see if trouts are done.
- If not, close-up bundle and cook trouts until done, flaky to the fork, before serving.