- 1 large wiener
- 1 hot dog roll
- Any desired condiments
- 1 freshly cut 4-foot [1.2-meter] long sassafras or maple branch
- 1 really red wood fire
- Clean mains tree branch removing any short branches and leaves.
- Remove approximately 10 inches [25 cm] long bark at one end of the branch; using a sharp knife, taper this end until fine.
- Using this end, cut 4 incisions into the wiener to prevent the wiener from splitting to fast.
- Insert the fine end of the branch all along the middle of the wiener, almost to the end of the weiner asit will burn if it comes out.
- Cook wiener over a really red open fire, yet not directly into the fire as it would cook too fast and blacken, turning wiener slowly.
- Whiener is ready when it starts to split.
- Transfer wiener into hot dog roll.
- Garnish to taste, and enjoy.