- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] minced green onions
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] minced onion
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] pepper
- 1 [16-ounce / 454-mL] can peas
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] cold water
- 8 eggs
- 1 slice white bread, torn into tiny pieces
- 6 ounces [170 g] grated Cheddar cheese
- At home, into a casserole, mix together chopped canned tomatoes with juice, chopped celery, bay leaf, minced green onion, minced onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are softened, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Pour mixture into a tightly closed container; refrigerate until ready to leave.
- On the camping grounds, pour tomato mixture and peas, along with the liquid, into a 12-inch [30-cm] frypan.
- Bring to a boil onto camping stove.
- Dilute cornstarch in cold water before pouring into tomato mixture.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Carefully break eggs, one at a time, into a bowl; add to tomato mixture
- Cover and leave to simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled all over with tiny bread pieces, then with grated Cheddar cheese.