- 5 cups [1.25 L] evaporated milk
- 1 cup [200 g] sugar
- 2 [1-ounce / 28-g each] unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- Into a large casserole, bring evaporated milk to just a boil, but do not boil.
- Pour 2 cups [500 mL] of hot evaporated milk into a clean casserole; stir in sugar until completely melted.
- Into the upper part of a double-boiler, stirring, melt unsweetened chocolate squares over hot yet not boiling water.
- Remove from heat and pour in sweetened evaporated milk, then remaining 3 cups [750 mL] evaporated milk.
- Leave mixture to cool, then refrigerate mixture until really cold.
- Stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.