- 8 [1-ounce / 28-g each] unsweetened chocolate squares, into pieces
- 2 cups [500 mL] whole milk
- 3/4 cup [150 g] sugar
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 cups [500 mL] whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] vanilla extract
- Into a heavy casserole, cook together unsweetened chocolate pieces and milk, stirring over low heat, to completely melt chocolate pieces and melted chocolate is well blended into milk.
- Into a clean casserole, away from heat, beat together sugar and beaten eggs, until mixture is of lemon yellow color.
- Mix in melted chocolate mixture, then whipping cream.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir mixture over medium heat until mixture coats the back of a silver spoon [180°F / 82°C onto a candy thermometer].
- Pour hot mixture into a bowl to stop cooking process; leave mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.