- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] freshly hulled whole strawberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup [60 g] sugar
- 3 cups [750 mL] whipping cream
- 3 cups [750 mL] half-and-half
- 1 bean vanilla, halved
2 teaspoons [10 mL] vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup [150 g] sugar
- 2 ounces [60 g] butter, softened
- 4 cups [1 L] freshly chopped hulled strawberries
- Into a heavy casserole, mix together freshly hulled whole strawberries, lemon juice and 1/4 cup [60 g] sugar.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cook, crushing strawberries.
- Leave to cool then refrigerate crushed strawberries until needed.
- Into a large casserole, mix together whipping cream, half-and-half and vanilla bean halves, but not vanilla extract; bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Into a bowl, beat together egg yolks and remaining 3/4 cup [150 g] sugar.
- Beat 3 tablespoons [45 mL] vanilla cream into sweetened beaten egg yolks.
- Well beat this mixture into remaining vanilla cream.
- Cook mixture, witout boiling, until foamy and thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat before stirring in softened butter, a little at a time, stirring until completely melted after each addition.
- Leave mixture to cool completely.
- If using vanilla extract, mix it into mixture.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder, then mix in cold refrigerated strawberry mixture.
- Cover ice cream maker; refrigerate mixture into ice cream maker overnight, for at least 8 hours.
- If needed, scrape mixture to remove vanilla bean halves.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions, adding freshly chopped hulled strawberries to mixture for the last 5 minutes churning time.