- 1 cup [200 g] sugar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] instant coffee powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] salt
- Mix together sugar and instant coffee powder into a bowl.
- Vigorously whip in egg yolks.
- Into a casserole, bring together milk and cream to just a boil, but do not boil.
- Stirring, pour 1/2 cup [125 mL] of boiling mixture into egg yolks mixture.
- Then still stirring, slowly pour remaining boiling mixture into egg yolks mixture.
- Pour mixture into casserole.
- Cook over low heat, stirring vigourously using a wooden spoon until almost boiling, at approximately 180°F [82°C] onto a candy thermometer.
- Leave mixture to cool completely, then pour mixture into a bowl; mix in vanilla and salt.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.