- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] milk
- 1 1/2 cups [300 g] sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] cold strong coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] vanilla
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Rum extract
- Into the upper part of a double-boiler, bring milk to just a boil, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, until melted.
- Leave mixture to cool for quite a few minutes.
- Into a medium bowl, beat together eggs and cooled sweetened milk until well blended.
- Pour mixture back into upper part of double-boiler; cook mixture over hot boiling water until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Then refrigerate mixture until really cold, before mixing in cold strong coffee, salt and whipping cream.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions, until almost frozen to desired consistency.
- Well stir in vanilla and rum extract.
- Finish processing, still following manufacturer's instructions.