- Approximately 1 pound [454 g] black 'Bing' cherries, to get 3 cups [750 mL]
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] water
- 1 3/4 cups [350 g] sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] salt
- Rinse, stem then stone cherries.
- Transfer cherries into a frypan; pour in water then mix in 3/4 cup [150 g] of the sugar.
- Stirring, bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and leave sweetened cherries to cool.
- Into a bowl, vigourously beat together egg yolks and remaining 2 cups [200 g] sugar.
- Into a casserole, bring together milk and cream to just a boil until thick, but do not boil.
- Pour 1/2 cup [125 mL] of the hot mixture into egg yolks mixture.
- Stirring, slowly pour remaining hot mixture into egg yolks mixture.
- Pour mixture into casserole.
- Cook over low heat, stirring vigourously using a wooden spoon until almost boiling, at approximately 180°F [82°C] onto a candy thermometer.
- Remove mixture from heat and leave to cool completely; pour mixture into a clean bowl.
- Mix in vanilla extract and salt, then cooled reserved sweetened cherries.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.