- 1 cup [200 g] sugar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] really hot water
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup [60 g] tiny pieces butter
- Sprinkle sugar into a heavy frypan.
- Over low heat, melt sugar for 8 to 10 minutes stirring using a wooden spoon, until of mahogany color.
- Remove frypan from heat and slowly stir in really hot water.
- Cook, still over low heat stirring using a wooden spoon, for 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and stir in half-and-half; then stir in whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Still stirring, bring mixture to just a boil, but do not boil.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Into a small bowl, whip egg yolks using a wire whip, until of lemon color.
- Stirring, slowly pour beaten egg yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook mixture stirring over low heat until thickened and foamy.
- Remove from heat and mix in quite a few tiny butter pieces at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Leave mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture for quite a few hours, overnight if possible.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.