- 3 lemons
- 1 cup [250 mL] water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] ground ginger
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 1 1/2 cups [300 g] sugar
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 cups [750 mL] cold water
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups [500 mL] whipping cream
- Well rinse, peel, remove white part of peels then finely chop lemon peels.
- Cut lemon pulp into really tiny pieces; remove any fiber and membrane and reserve.
- Transfer finely chopped lemon peels into a medium casserole; pour in 1 cup [250 mL] water.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 5 minutes; drain chopped lemon peels.
- Pour 1 cup [250 mL] of remaining water into casserole, over chopped lemon peels; mix in ground ginger.
- Bring to a boil then leave to simmer for 5 minutes; using a slotted spoon, remove and throw away lemon peels.
- Mix sugar, grated lemon rind and reserved lemon pulp tiny pieces to cooking liquid.
- Cook over low heat, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a bowl; leave to cool completely.
- Then mix in cold water; freeze mixture until of puree consistency.
- Into separate bowls, beat egg whites and cream until stiff peaks form; fold beaten egg whites then cream into cold mixture.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.