- 1 teaspoon [2.5 g] unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] cold water
- 2 [1-ounce / 28-g] each squares bitter chocolate
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] water
- 1/2 cup [100 g] sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] vanilla extract
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; leave to swell.
- Into the upper part of a double-boiler, melt bitter chocolate squares over boiling water, stirring at all times to prevent chocolate from burning.
- Remove from heat; reserve.
- Into a clean casserole, boil together water, sugar and salt until 230°F [110°C] onto a candy thermometre [fine thread].
- Stir in melted bitter chocolate, until well blended.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and beat in beaten egg yolks and swollen gelatin.
- Leave mixture to cool completely, then refrigerate mixture until really cold.
- Whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream, along with vanilla extract, into really cold mixture.
- Evenly spoon mixture into frosted parfait dishes or mold.
- Freeze mixture, without stirring, until really firm.