- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup [250 mL] heavy cream
- 1 cup [250 mL] packed brown sugar
- 3 cups [750 mL] half-and-half or light cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] vanilla extract
- Into a heavy, medium non-aluminum saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and brown sugar until thick.
- Into a clean medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring together cream and half-and-half to just a boil.
- Slowly, into a thin stream, whisk hot cream mixture into thick egg yolks mixture.
- Cook over low heat stirring constantly, until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, for approximately 6 minutes.
- Do not boil.
- Immediately strain custard into a medium-size bowl.
- Stir in vanilla extract and leave to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate until really cold, for at least 5 hours.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.
- Leave ice cream to soften slightly before serving.