- 2 cups [500 mL] day-old whole wheat breadcrumbs*
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] molasses sugar**
- 2 cups [500 mL] heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] extra-fine sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons [60 to 90 mL] Rum or Brandy, to serve [optional]
- Preheat oven to 400°F [200°C].
- *Crumble whole wheat bread slices into a blender or grate bread slicess.
- Using a pastry brush, coat a cookie sheet with vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle whole wheat breadcrumbs all over cookie sheet; sprinkle all over with molasses sugar.
- Bake into preheated oven for approximately 8 to 10 minutes, stirring from time to me to prevent breadcrumbs from sticking to each other, until molasses sugar caramelizes with the breadcrumbs.
- When golden brown, crumble mixture using a fork; leave to cool completely.
- Then, into a clean bowl, delicately whip together whipping cream and extra-fine sugar until cream is just thickened.
- Fold in vanilla extract, then fold in completely cooled breadcrumbs.
- Evenly pour mixture into a mold such as a bread pan.
- Cover and freeze ice cream until really firm.
- Refrigerate ice cream for 1 hour, until just softened, before serving.
- Serve into individual bowls using an ice cream scoop, or, if frozen into a bread pan, unmold ice cream onto a cold plate and slice to serve.
- For even more flavor, if desired, serve this ice cream sprinkled with a little Rum or Brandy.