- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup [60 g] or a little more extra-fine sugar
- 5 1/2 ounces [156 g] semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] milk
- 1 whole dry red pepper such as 'ancho'
- 1 bean vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup [250 mL] semi-sweet milk or white chocolate chips
- Into a bowl over simmering water, mix then beat together whole egg, egg yolk and sugar until light and foamy.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Into a double-boiler, mix together chopped semi-sweet chocolate, milk, dry red pepper and vanilla bean.
- Beat delicately over simmering water until chocolate is completely melted, and mixture just starts to boil.
- Remove whole dry red pepper and vanilla bean; pour into reserved foamy mixture then leave to cool completely.
- Lightly whip cream into a clean bowl.
- Fold whipped cream, along with semi-sweet, milk or white chocolate chips, into cooled chocolate mixture.
- If using an ice cream maker, pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder and process for approximately 15 minutes, or follow manufacturer's instructions.
- If not, pour mixture into a freezer-safe container; freeze mixture for approximately 1 hour, until partially frozen.
- Transfer mixture into a bowl; beat to break-up ice crystals.
- Freeze mixture for 30 minutes more; beat once more.
- Freeze ice cream until firm.
- Leave ice cream to rest for 15 minutes at room temperature before serving, using an ice cream scoop.