- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1 cup [200 g] sugar
- 1 cup [250 mL] packed fresh mint leaves, crushed [about 1/2 large bunch]
- A few extra fresh mint leaves, to add to finished sherbet
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- Warm together milk, sugar and crushed mint leaves to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat, cover and leave to soak for 1 hour.
- Strain milk squeezing mint leaves to extract all the flavor.
- Discard leaves and refrigerate mixture until really cold.
- Before freezing, whip egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites into cold mint-infused milk.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Proceed following manufacturer's instructions.
- Finely chop then fold extra mint leaves into just-frozen sherbet.
- Spoon into a covered container.
- Transfer into a freezer until hardened.
- Keep frozen until ready to serve.