- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups [300 g] sugar
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 1 cup [250 mL] whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons [22.5 mL] instant coffee
- 1 1/2 tablespoons [22.5 mL] really hot water
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] salt
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] vanilla extract
- Into a bowl, vigorously whip together egg yolks and sugar.
- Into a casserole, bring together milk and whipping cream to just a boil, but do not boil.
- Stirring, pour 1/2 cup [125 mL] boiling mixture into beaten sweetened egg yolks.
- Still stirring, slowly pour remaining boiling mixture into beaten sweetened egg yolks
- Pour mixture back into casserole.
- Cook over low heat, beating vigorously using a wooden spoon until just boiling, approximately 180°F [82°C] onto a candy thermometer.
- Leave mixture to cool, then refrigerate mixture until really cold.
- Dilute instant coffee in hot water; leave to cool completely before adding to mixture.
- Stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker cylinder.
- Process following manufacturer's instructions.