- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups [500 mL] icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] strawberry puree
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups [310 mL] whipping cream, whipped
- Whipped cream, to garnish
- Berries, to garnish
- Sweetened papaya, kiwi, mango or strawberry puree [coulis], to garnish
- Combine egg whites and icing sugar in the top part of a double boiler.
- Set over boiling water.
- Beat using an electric beater until soft peaks form, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; transfer mixture into a bowl.
- Set into a bowl filled with icy water.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Fold in strawberry puree and lemon juice.
- Gently fold in whipped cream until any white streak can be seen.
- Line a 5 x 9-inch [13 x 23-cm] loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Evenly pour in mousse; even top of mousse.
- Cover and freeze until firm, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Unmold, remove plastic wrap and slice into 1-inch [2.5-cm] thick slices; arrange onto a chilled serving plate.
- Serve immediately, garnished to taste with dollops of whipped cream, berries and sweetened papaya, kiwi, mango or strawberry puree [coulis].